Sunday, October 24, 2010

A little mo' content

Sorry for the long absense. On one hand I haven't been very busy, but on the other hand that means I didn't have anything to show you anyway. I didn't land the past two gigs in getting published class. Gladly the Colonel Windpipe character tided me over. Our class was recently approached by Colors magazine to create a few "portraits" of international heroes for their upcoming issue. It's an interesting concept, as the content for this issue is all user input on their website: http://lab.colorsmagazine.com/superheroes

We were to choose 2 heroes, and illustrate two literal or metaphorical portraits. I chose Evans Wadongo and Carlos Celdran. Evans is a young man from Kenya who has created a charity producing solar powered lanterns for impoverished villages, where their only light source at night is dangerous and costly kerosene lanterns. In a video interview, he admits to cutting one or two meals of his own per day to fund the project. This is what I illustrated:



It's not necessarily a portrait of Evans. I'd prefer it to just be seen as a Kenyan child, in the context of the article. The portrait is of his efforts to light up the night for those in need. Interestigly I sort of unknowingly poached a lot of this imagery from both my own previous work and the work of my friend Dan Woodling.

Mine (colors n' everything):


and Dan's wonderful concept piece for his senior animated film:
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_cC6cTVc5alQ/TI79b72tBgI/AAAAAAAAAHA/b1-G01-gbaA/s1600/glowlybear.jpg

I'll take the easy way out and just call it inspiration. It must be, if I didn't notice until after I was finished, right?

Carlos Celdran is a lively tour guide in Manila, who was recently arrested for his protest display at a catholic service. A bill is currently in the works to increase the awareness of contraceptives throughout the country, which is struggling with population control. The church threatens excommunication for those responsible, as their stance on contraceptives is very, albeit irrational, clear and concise. Look it up, it's preatty interesting. This is what I illustrated:



It's a little bit like a political cartoon, as it's a little cutesied up and lighthearted, but I'm happy with it.

That's all for now. These will be submitted to Colors mag and we'll see if they get accepted. The magazine is known for its photos, and it's usually pretty serious business. I'm not very sure my playful stuff with be their cup of tea. Here's to hoping, though!

1 comment:

  1. Ha, I think your piece is much better looking anyways. :P I love the way you handled the pants on Carlos and I wish you the best of luck with Colors!

    ReplyDelete